Kilimanjaro - Machame Route
High Altitude Trekking
- Depart Home
- Arrive in Moshi, Tanzania. Airport pick up and transfer to Aishi Hotel at the foot of Kilimanjaro near the Machame gate. Welcome dinner at Aishi Hotel.
- Free day to rest from your long international flights and explore Moshi. In interested we can arrange a day excursion to Lake Chala, Mkomazi game reserve or Arusha National Park. In the evening there will be a thorough orientation, climb briefing, and final equipment check.
- After breakfast we transfer to the Machame Gate and trailhead. After registering with the park service we meet our local guides and porters.
The day’s gentle hike will take roughly seven hours and leads through the natural rain forest and giant heather between River Wern and Makoa to the Machame Hut camp. (10,000ft/3000m)
- Today’s hike takes five to six hours and leaves the forest and enters into the Moor lands. The trail leads down a gorge and crosses several dry riverbeds before ascending a rocky cliff onto the Shira Plateau. Overnight at Shira Hut camp. (12,000ft/3800m)
- After an early start we’ll have an exciting day of seven to eight hours of hiking. This is an important day in our acclimatization process because we climb high, at one point reaching nearly 16,000 feet as we pass the famous Lava Tower, before dropping down to sleep low at the Barranco Hut camp. (13,000ft.4000m)
- A short four to five hours hike through alpine desert day helps to further our acclimatization process. After breakfast we leave Barranco camp and continue on a steep ridge climbing over the Great Barranco Wall. We’ll traverse below the amazing southern glaciers and stopping overnight at the Karanga Valley camp. (12,700ft/3900m)
- We leave the Karanga River behind and hike five to six hours to our high camp at Barafu. At Barafu camp we have an inspiring view of Kilimanjaro, Mawenzi, and the plains below.
- Summit Day! After a short night of resting and eating the final ascend of Kilimanjaro begins between midnight and 1:00 am. This section gets gradually steeper as we zigzag for five to seven hours on frozen scree or snow before reaching Stella point on the crater rim. After a short break to enjoy the sunrise and view the crater magnificent ice fields we then proceed another hour along the crater rim to the top of Africa at Uhuru Peak. (19,340ft/5895m) After taking our summit photographs we descend back to our Barafu camp for a short break and lunch before descending several hours further down the mountain to Mweka Hut camp. A time for celebration!
- Our final day on the mountain. A four hour descend takes us through a deep rain forest to the Mweka Gate. Here you will be awarded your summit certificates of achievement before proceeding to the Aishi Hotel for a hot shower, dinner celebration, and a good nights rest.
- Begin Safari.
Email Us or Phone 307-733-8812